CHARLOTTE, N.C. — During the 2022 holiday season, Dole Food Company wanted to cater specifically to vegan consumers, acknowledging that it can be a challenge for vegans to find fulfilling meals, especially during the holidays.
In mid-November, Dole published 10 plant-based recipes that the company created to be less alienating for its vegan customers.
“We’re here to show that our vegan alternatives are just as delicious and satisfying as your childhood favorites,” said Melanie Marcus, RD, MA, Dole’s nutrition and health communications manager.
One of the featured recipes was Little Chef Potato-Leek Soup, a hearty soup that is both vegan and gluten-free. It can be found along with the other plant-based recipes on the company’s website.
Little Chef Potato-Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 cups small Dole Cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup chopped Dole Carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped Dole Celery
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large Dole Potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup unsalted vegetable stock
- 3 cups gluten-free and soy-free oat milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley plus additional for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (from 1 Dole Lemon)
- 6 tablespoons gluten-free breadcrumbs (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepot over medium-high heat. Add leeks, cauliflower, carrots, celery, thyme, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add potato, stock and milk; heat to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
Purée soup in batches in a blender on high 20 seconds or until smooth, transferring soup back to the saucepot; stir in parsley and lemon juice. Serve soup garnished with breadcrumbs and/or parsley, if desired. Makes about 6 cups.