Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company won five awards, including three First Place and two Third Place medals, at the American Cheese Society’s Annual Judging & Competition in Richmond, Virginia, on Aug. 2.
The company’s winning entries included:
• Bay Blue, 1st Place in Blue-Veined, with rind or external coating, cows’ milk
• Toma, 3rd Place in American Originals, original recipe, cows’ milk
• Toma Provence, 3rd Place in American Originals, flavors added, cows’ milk
• Pimento Cheese, 1st Place (tie) in Cold-Pack Cheese, flavors added, all milks
• Original Blue & Date Spread, 1st Place (tie) in Cold-Pack Cheese, flavors added, all milks
More than 1,742 entries made by 257 companies were included in this year’s competition.
“There are so many outstanding cheeses in competition, it’s a complete honor to come away with five awards” says Kuba Hemmerling, Point Reyes’ head cheese maker and plant manager. “We’ve been focused on maintaining quality since we opened our second creamery last year. These awards reflect the entire team’s commitment to that, even while implementing new systems and adapting to new equipment.”