Close to nine out of ten Americans would give up either coffee, chocolate or alcohol before giving up cheese, according to a new survey.
The survey, commissioned by Sarasota, Florida-based deli meat and cheese specialist Boar’s Head, was timed to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day April 12.
Among the other findings of the survey, which was conducted using the online survey platform Pollfish and compiled by DKC Analytics, include:
- If they could, nine out of ten respondents would eat multiple servings of cheese every day;
- When asked about favorite foods, almost half of respondents (46 percent) rank cheese as their first or second favorite, among a selection of food group options; with those aged 25-34 being most likely to rank cheese first (27 percent);
- American cheese is the top choice for sandwiches (68 percent), with cheddar topping the list for salads at 59 percent;
- Fifty percent prefer grilled cheese with a blend of two or more cheeses; and
- When asked if cheese were banned where they live, 2/3 of respondents (66 percent) would either definitely move, strongly consider it, or possibly move.