The program, sponsored by Gourmet Foods International, will enable Kroger to discover new suppliers to support the continued expansion of its fresh departments – including produce, deli, bakery, meat, seafood, dairy, specialty cheeses, and floral – and its commitment to being Fresh for Everyone.
Through May 31, suppliers can apply to join the Go Fresh & Local Supplier Accelerator, which will be held in Cincinnati in August. In collaboration with Efficient Collaborative Retail Marketing and RangeMe, Kroger's category management and fresh director team will review applications in multiple rounds, selecting 15 finalists (one finalist per region per category) to attend the event.
All finalists will present to a panel of judges during a pitch session, with one overall winner selected from each region. The prize package for the five overall winners includes product placement on shelf within Kroger's Family of Companies; recommended partnerships with Gourmet Foods International; and business development coaching from Kroger merchandising and sales leaders as well as PearlRock Partners CEO Brian Kelley.
"At Kroger, our Fresh for Everyone mission is anchored in consistently and creatively providing fresh and affordable food to our customers," said Dan De La Rosa, Kroger's group vice president of fresh merchandising. "We're dedicated to fostering innovation and investing in local, regional, and small businesses that make the best of food accessible to all. Our first Go Fresh & Local Supplier Accelerator is an extension of our commitment and we're eager to invite suppliers of every size to participate, providing the potential to grow our businesses together."
Kroger welcomes growers and producers to apply to the relevant regional categories below, in alignment with the following regional versus local grouping criteria:
- Region 1: QFC, Fred Meyer, Ralphs, and Food 4 Less
- Region 2: Fry's Food Stores, Smith's, King Soopers, City Market, and Dillons
- Region 3: Kroger Houston, Kroger Dallas, Kroger Delta, and Kroger Nashville
- Region 4: Mariano's, Metro Market, Pick 'n Save, Kroger Central, Kroger Michigan, Kroger Columbus
- Region 5: Kroger Atlanta, Kroger Mid-Atlantic, Kroger Louisville, Harris Teeter and Kroger Cincinnati-Dayton
- Small producers;
- Located in-state or the immediate market;
- Community-inspired and locally relevant items;
- Merchandised in less than approximately 100 stores.
- Larger producers;
- Cross-state and division boundaries;
- Still locally relevant to customers;
- Merchandised in approximately 100 or more stores.
To apply and learn more about the Go Fresh & Local Supplier Accelerator, visit TheKrogerCo.com/GoFreshLocal.