Dominique Ansel’s Cronut spawned countless copycat hybrid desserts; the first lab-grown burger and plant-based egg were unveiled; crickets landed on restaurant menus; and labeling laws for genetically modified foods sparked a heated national debate.
These are some of the picks for the ten most industry-shaking events, trends and movements of the past year compiled by the editors of Specialty Food News, the daily e-newsletter of the Specialty Food Association.
The 2013 Top 10 specialty food stories are:
- Sustainable Meat Alternatives Step into the Future
- The Year of Non-GMO
- Gluten-free Standards Established
- Two Lost Legends: The Deaths of Charlie Trotter and Marcella Hazan
- Craft Distilleries Come Roaring Back
- The Cronut That Launched a Thousand Hybrids
- Waste Not, Feed and Power Many
- Vegetables Take Over
- California Cottage Food Act Passes
- Next Protein Sources: Cricket and Pea Protein Powder