WASHINGTON – A new industry network has been created to educate, develop, promote and retain women working in the meat and poultry industry. The Women’s Meat Industry Network (WMIN) brings together women from entry-level to C-suite in a variety of industry jobs from sales, operations, food safety, academia and management.
“I am very proud to be in the company of a distinguished and talented group of women working in the meat and poultry industry who want to share their knowledge with other women pursuing careers in our fields,” said Heidi Buske, chair of the WMIN. “I look forward to WMIN providing a more formal support system that will expand and strengthen the participation of women in our industry.”
The organization will offer mentoring, professional development and networking opportunities.
“Recognizing that meat and poultry production and related businesses are typically male-dominated, a group of women in industry and academia agreed to work together to address this disparity and to improve professional development and career opportunities for women,” WMIN said.
WMIN’s Board of Directors includes:
- Angie Krieger – vice president, Operations, National Pork Board
- Carol L. Lorenzen – professor and department head, Oregon State University
- Casey M. Owens, PhD – professor, Poultry Processing & Products, University of Arkansas
- Cathy East – vice president of Procurement, Albertsons Companies
- Cheyenne McEndaffer – director, Export Services/Access, US Meat Export Federation
- Collette Kaster – chief executive officer, American Meat Science Association
- Heidi Buske – strategic portfolio lead – North America Protein, Cargill
- Jess Pryles – owner, Hardcore Carnivore
- KatieRose McCullough, PhD, MPH – director, Science and Public Health, North American Meat Institute
- Kay Stinson – vice president of Human Resources and Employee Communications, Seaboard Foods
- Meredith Strickland – senior director of Finance & Accounting, Tyson Foods
- Natosha Walsh – senior vice president of Sales – CPS Division, Hormel Foods
- Wendy Pinkerton – head of Industry Relations, Zoetis
Corporate sponsors of the network include American Foods Group, Cargill, Pork Checkoff, Clemens Food Group, Seaboard Foods and the US Meat Export Federation. Membership in the network is not exclusive to women.
For more information on the goals of WMIN, as well as sponsorship opportunities and how to become a member, visit website https://wmin.org/.