Meijer announced the addition of five fresh, protein-based salads to its deli case in all stores across its six-state footprint this week.Taking into account recent flavor trends, the Meijer test kitchen chefs created the salads to cater to summertime meal prep and entertaining, the company says.
- Nashville Hot Chicken Salad – This “hot” mix originated in Nashville, Tennessee, and has taken the country by storm as the latest spicy craze. Nashville Hot is a combination of rich buttermilk, dried chilies and spices. The flavor is typically sold in fried chicken form and served with a pickle. Our chefs took the unique flavors and created a salad that includes shredded rotisserie-style chicken, spicy dried chili, sweet pickle relish and tangy buttermilk. Enjoy it as a high-protein side, or use it as an ingredient for sandwiches, wraps, pitas and garden salads. This salad can be enjoyed cold or warm.
- Korean BBQ Chicken Salad – Korean BBQ is a sweet-and-spicy sauce comprised of fermented chilies, honey, ginger, soy and toasted sesame oil. Drawing on these flavors, the salad includes shredded rotisserie-style chicken, Asian BBQ flavors, red bell pepper, sweet mango, green onion and toasted sesame seeds. Enjoyed either cold or warm, the Korean BBQ Chicken Salad can be served on its own or to top off any sandwich, salad or tacos.
- Lemon Dill Tuna Salad – As an alternative to chicken, this non-mayo based salad uses Albacore Tuna combined with fresh herbs and a light lemon vinaigrette. This salad can be enjoyed as a side or main dish, if you’re looking for a lighter option on nights you don’t feel like cooking.
Meijer is also rolling out two new vegetarian salads that work as a great “Meatless Monday” dinner option:
- Brussels Sprout and Broccoli Slaw Salad – Forgoing the mayonnaise base of slaws, this crispy slaw includes fresh-shaved Brussels sprouts and broccoli, sweet apple chunks, shaved parmesan cheese, crunchy walnuts and sweet-and-smoky vinaigrette. Together, the unique flavors and textures of these ingredients combine to create food harmony. Use this slaw to add freshness by topping flatbreads or crunch to your favorite garden salad.
- Asian Slaw – This new, kale-based slaw is a colorful mix of sweet red bell peppers, crunchy almonds, cilantro and sweet onion vinaigrette. The crunchy slaw makes a great “green” side option, and can also be used to top flatbreads, tacos or wraps.